Thursday, July 26, 2007

Republican Primaries

I stumbled across this excellent article on presidential-hopeful Ron Paul today. The more I learn about Paul, the more I like him. To be honest, I was very skeptical of him early on -- in large part because of his libertarian tendencies.

But after reading this piece my prejudice is waning; he may be the man the for the job. In particular, the last paragraph resonated with my own convictions, and dispelled reservations about Ron Paul:

I think libertarians are about half right, but have this sort of autistic tendency to assume humans are perfectly rational, and in extreme cases, makes for ridiculous policy prescriptions. However, I can strategically support a libertarian like Paul for President, as the President controls our enemy, the federal government, and a libertarian will weaken the power of my enemy. In fact, I think government ought to be powerful in inverse proportion to its size. I would prefer authoritarian local government (as do most people, when you look at the subdivision restrictions most people are more than happy to submit to), a conservative state government, and to the extent necessary, a libertarian federal government.


Read the whole thing. It's worth it.

No comments: